That’s what I call a Classic!!!
Spanish omelette or as we say “Truita de patata i ceba”. It’s one of those simple and perfect recipes that, just taking care choosing the best ingredients possible, the success is assured.
Number of Servings 1 medium size omelette. 3-4 servings.
- 3 big potatoes
- 2 big onions
- 5 eggs
- olive oil extra virgin
- Peel the potatoes and the onions and finely chop them.
- In olive oil, fry the potatoes at low heat until soft and tender.
- Strain the potatoes through a colander into a large bowl (set the strained oil aside).
- Do the same with the onion until golden and caramelized. Use the potatoes strained oil.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add salt, the potatoes and the onions.
- Pre heat hight the frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I use the strained oil.
- Add the mixture to the frying pan over the hot oil and stir it to avoid the omelette from sticking. Lower the heat to a minimum. Cook covered until golden.
- When almost set, use a lid to invert the omelette. Cook a few more minutes until done.
- Moving the pan in circles helps to keep the rounded shape.
- Slide on to a plate and cool for some minutes before serving.
I always add the salt separately. Some to the potatoes, some to the onion and a little more to the eggs. If all the ingredients are in it’s point of salt, the final result is perfection 😉
Better use a plate to invert the omelette if shapes well inside the frying pan.