I learn this recipe from my sister who had take it from my mom, who had learn it from my grand mother… so this is quite and old recipe but before my sister was without Cava, so she added the lovely sparkling and then the recipe gets a beautiful twist.
My way has been transform it in a “Pintxo“, the typical Basque country snacks. My friend Rosa, ask me to help her in a txalaparta music concert, preparing something to eat during the wine and Cava tasting done that day. My first thought was taking that humble chicken with Cava and transform it a little bit in the way you normally it them… that’s the gift!!!
Number of Servings 8
- A big free range chicken
- 2 Cava Palagó 100% Xarel·lo bottles
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- A garlic bulb
- 3 big onions
- Dried plumbs
- Olive oil extra virgin
- Pine nuts
- Fry the chicken in olive oil to seal it and put it aside.
- In the same oil add the onion cut in “Julienne” and cook til white and slightly transparent.
- Add the cinnamon, the garlic bulb cut in half, the bay leaves, salt and fresh grounded pepper. Cook until the onion starts changing its colour.
- Add the chicken and cover it with the Cava. Put it in the oven for 2 hours at 180º Celsius. Or until soft and tender….
- Add the dried plumbs and the fried pine nuts just 15 minutes before finishing the chicken.
This is how I serve it during the tasting.
A slightly toasted piece of bread with the chicken crumbled and mixed with the reduction of the sauce. In one half the dried plumbs, and at the other half a Sweet “Ordal” peaches chutney and some roasted pine nuts on top!!